Monday, February 1, 2016

Training with Akira Fukuda


Photo curtosy of JAPAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER

It's been a day since the seminar with Sensei Fukuda and I can barely walk. After five hours of training on Saturday and four hours on Sunday I am ready to go crawl into a ball under about 40 blankets and never come out. You would feel the same if you had to hold the same stance for 10 minutes then move as fast as you can. We did this one drill where you squat down then jump up over someone and land squat down that move up into a stance. At the time it didn't feel that hard, but trust me I felt that drill the next day. Overall the Seminar was really good. I learned a lot of different concepts and new perspectives on Kata. 

So a little background on Akira Fukuda. At first, he wanted to be a professional surfer but soon realized that surfing had no chance of being in the Olympics. So he started Karate. Now he's the USA National Team Coach, he has 9 US National titles, he's a Pan American Games gold medalist, he was ranked top 4 in the World, and was awarded the Olympic Athlete of the year award. Originally he is from a Shotokan Dojo but throughout his life he has come to master  all five styles of Karate. Which is very rare these days, mostly people stay in one style or two max. But his unique knowledge of all the styles and other styles of Martial Arts (judo, wrestling, Taekwondo, etc.) made him the perfect candidate for the US Kata coach. 


So I'm very thankful for the opportunity to meet and train with such an inspirational person. Hopefully I will be able to train with him again.

2 comments:

  1. T this is sick, training for at least 9 hours is insane. I remember when I had a really hard conditioning practice and felt like I was gonna die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T this is sick, training for at least 9 hours is insane. I remember when I had a really hard conditioning practice and felt like I was gonna die.

    ReplyDelete